Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cool Stuff: Rustic Rolling Bins

I spotted these wooden storage bins on the U.K.'s Rose & Grey, and thought they were great. You could use them to corral kids' toys, stack clean towels in the bathroom, hold files and paperwork in your home office, or put them to use in any number of other household settings.

But at £55 (about $90) a pop? Not so much. Though I'm not crafty in the slightest, even I think it would be simplicity itself -- not to mention a whole lot cheaper -- to make something similar on your own.

A quick eBay search turned up hundreds of vintage wooden crates, for instance, or you can find them at just about any flea market. Heck, you probably have a couple already sitting in your basement.

Then just pick up some screw-on casters at your local hardware store or home center and voila -- a set of handy, utilitarian-chic rolling bins for a few bucks apiece.

9 comments:

Lucy C said...

What a fab idea. £55 does seem rather expensive, but I'd love to try and make some of these myself. Thanks for sharing.

HeddyShea said...

I've done this to a couple of old crates, and I use them in my studio. They're great.
XO
SHS

Pink Haired Momma said...

This is an swesome idea. I have a couple of old crates that are needing some restructuring. This is a great restructure for them! Thanks!!

maja said...

what a great idea, and i'm surprised it hasn't occured to me before. i have some wood bins in my basement and it would give me an excuse to check this place out: http://twitpic.com/759q0

Leah said...

Maja -- it's like Caster Heaven! ;-)

Waxy said...

Great idea - I totally need to find a wood crate now...

mer said...

brilliant. making these.

Anonymous said...

My husband works across the street from a wine distributor. The company always has piles of wine crates next to their dumpster. He snaps them up every so often (for free) and we buy casters at Ace or Ikea for about $5. We use the crates for our recycling--much prettier than plastic bins!

Deb Jackson said...

Another good source for coloured casters:

http://www.coolcasters.com/

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.