Monday, May 11, 2009

Guest Post: Katherine's eBay Finds

Photo by Nicole Radja for Time Out Chicago

Today's guest eBay post comes from Katherine Raz, a Midwestern blogger who grew up scouring garage sales with her crafty dad, and who now shares her love of thrifty secondhand style on her blog, BackGarage. Take it away, Katherine!


"This July, it'll be ten years since I bought my first item on eBay: a retro magazine rack that I bid on sight-unseen, since most listings then had no pictures.

A decade ago I only knew that I liked clean lines and light wood and retro molded plastic. Then one day I asked the proprietor of an uber-hip antique mall what, exactly, was all this stuff I loved so much and she exclaimed, 'Why honey, it's midcentury!' (I know: Bizarre that I wouldn't have known that word, but honestly, I didn't.)

That one moment opened up a new world: I could now describe my style. And if I could describe it, I could locate it cheap. And that's my number one eBay tip: Build your design vocabulary. Do you want a 'retro lamp' or are you looking for a 'Danish Modern tension pole lamp'? A 'see-through buffet' or a 'Lucite console table'? The more you know, the more refined your search, no matter what your particular style.

So here are some of my favorite current eBay auctions using words I've learned over these last ten years. Happy bidding!"


French Italian Hollywood Regency Wall Mirror

Pair of Vintage Deer Planters

West German Lava Vase

Six Midcentury Chairs

Vintage Retro Melamine Serving Dishes

Knoll Tulip Stool

Midcentury Modern Green Wood Desk

Danish Modern Retro Footstool

Vintage Samsonite Travel Makeup Case

Thanks so much, Katherine! Be sure to check out her many secondhand scores and shopping tips over on BackGarage.

4 comments:

ita darling. said...

great roundup!
I get realy excited about the hunt on ebay and craigslist and troll endlessly to find the little sneaky devils that are mislabeled and under some general category, but it's good to see what key words someone else is using!

Desiree said...

Those deer planters and the green footstool are fantastic!

Keyka said...

Nice finds! My favorites are the mirror, the deer planters and the green desk.

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

great finds...and that mirror is just so LOVELY!

Jen Ramos
'Cards & Prints You'll Love...'
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com-

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.