Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wanderlust: Portland's Crafty Wonderland

When I was in Portland last week, I had only about 15 spare minutes to run through the Crafty Wonderland show.

Held in the subterranean recesses of the Doug Fir Lounge, the monthly indie marketplace was small, dark, and crowded. But both the vendors and the attendees were clearly having a good time, and I was able to chat briefly with a few whose wares I admired.

Among them was Rachel Ann Austin, above, whose lovely paintings I'd been drawn to on Etsy -- they've been semi-regulars on my Etsy widget, at left -- and in the wonderful North Portland shop Flutter, which I'd visited the day before. (Never fear -- lots more on PDX shopping to come.)

Clever photo-slide lampshades from "fantasticator" Phoebe Owens (also available on her Etsy shop).

Painted and collaged wooden blocks by Sarah Landwehr and paintings by Jackie Avery.

Paintings on reclaimed wood by Steve Mathews (no website, but you can email him here).

Vanessa Rehder of AntelopeBaby, with her winsome robot and cow gocco-print tea towels, cards, and wallets made from vinyl bookcovers. (Look at that smile! I swear, everyone in Portland is so nice ... )

In addition to the items pictured here, there were also tons of cute screenprinted tees, letterpress stationary and other paper goods, handmade jewelry, and sweet felted and alterna-baby goods.

If you're in the area, the next Crafty Wonderland happens at the Doug Fir from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, April 13. Admission is free.

2 comments:

phoebe said...

Thanks for the props Leah! Nice photos and detailed description :)

Contrariwise said...

You're making me jealous! It looks like a GREAT show.

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.